Go to the Fabrication Gallery

Where it all began

Our Founder, Barney Hubbard, in the early 1940's

Our Founder, Barney Hubbard, in the early 1940's

As an employee of a local sheet metal company, H. Byron Hubbard rose from an apprentice to field superintendent. Although he had job security and a good salary, he wanted to be his own boss -- and to put his trade skills to better use.

So in April 1946, he and several friends spent the day hauling family "treasures" from the garage. When the job was done, and the garage scrubbed out, they turned to an area of the backyard which was adjacent to the garage, and shaded by a large cherry tree. It was in this garage, and under that tree, that "Barney" founded Evansville Sheet Metal.

The garage shop was quickly outgrown, and we purchased a new building in August of 1947. The original residential gutter work was expanded to include specialized custom jobs. It was this specialization that opened the doors to opportunity.

As industrial demands for non-ferrous metals grew, we tooled up to meet them. The very nature of stainless, aluminum, and other exotic metals required additional skills, which led to the development of technical training programs designed to raise and broaden the skill levels of key personnel. In 1965, we moved to our current location: a 78,000 square foot facility that provided the area necessary to serve an increasing workload and provide room to grow into the facility of today.